About the Job
Chumbak is one of India’s fastest growing design brands. Known and loved for its illustration-lead products, Chumbak is in the process of strengthening its design team. We are looking for a full-time, in-house creative Print Designer.
We are seeking an outgoing, energetic, and creative in-house Print Designer who will bring excitement and enthusiasm to our brand and apply their skills to create designs for our range of products. These products belong to the Fashion category of Chumbak – apparel, accessories, footwear etc.
As our in-house Print Designer, you will be working as part of the team that has created some of the most path-breaking designs in recent times across a huge range of product categories. As a brand Chumbak is all about great design, and we hope that is how you define yourself too.
Role & Responsibilities
- Contribute to creative brainstorming and ensure you are always ahead of the curve with regard to design trends.
- Study trends in Fashion with regards to illustrations, colours and themes and develop a seasonal understanding of how they can be leveraged to enhance apparel & accessories at Chumbak.
- Create visual briefs and Collaborate with product design & illustration team on what are the key take aways from brainstorming and International trends. Create sketches and print concepts based on these suitable for application on apparels & accessories.
- Understand key silhouettes for the season and work with the product design team to create surface design via print/ cad/ embroidery that compliments it and makes unique & commercial products, desirable to customers at Chumbak.
- Develop radically new designs for products in the Fashion Category that are in line with the direction of Chumbak Apparels & accessories.
- Illustrate from concept to final design by working on rough layouts of art and copy, while keeping in mind arrangement, size, type size and style, and other related aesthetic concepts.
- Ensure the appropriate fitment of Fabric + illustration. Execute print design, technique and ensure fabric eventually comes out the way needed.
- You must be a hands-on designer with strong ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team and share the responsibility of execution right from the design to holding the sourcing team’s hand till the final sample.
- Ask for feedback and communicate with your team members throughout each project to make sure delivery is done in time and to the right specifications.
- The challenge is to spot upcoming consumer trends, competition and inspirations to ensure our designs are relevant and ahead of competition. (At the same time they need to be clutter-breaking as we have always managed to stand out with our products in the past.)
- Your impact will extend far beyond your own team to encompass the other functions that help ensure the brand story is maintained.
Desired Experience and Skills
You have a Bachelors or Master degree in a design-related field and must speak and write English effortlessly. Textile/Print design study during graduation would be a suitable fit here. (You can also be self-taught illustrator as long as you have a good understanding of the required software, design principles etc.)
Years of Experience:
Atleast 2-3 years experience. (Freshers who meet the above mentioned skill requirements may also apply.)
Experience, directly/indirectly in the field of Fashion Apparel & creatives for textiles at some point in the years is mandatory. Candidate will be evaluated closely for this.
Understanding of Key Process & techniques for conversion of artwork onto fabric through print, weave and embroidery is mandatory. Candidate will be evaluated closely for this skill.
If you're interested in this job and think you can rock our world, get in touch. (Keep your cover letter short but make sure to tell us a little bit about yourself and present us with a good yet short online portfolio!)
- Be a highly motivated, creative and innovative self-starter.
- Have impeccable taste and a compulsive eye for detail.
- Fly high conceptually and have a complete overview of illustration.
- Have great conceptual skills and strong digital knowledge.
- Be an accomplished Visual Designer with over 2-3 years of experience in developing a strong understanding of fundamental design principles that affect composition, colour, use of space and hierarchy of information.
- Be from a Fashion Apparel and creatives background, through study or experience
- Be familiar with the Textile printing process, with deep understanding and experience of how the print designed will get translated onto fabric.
- Be capable of quickly delivering strong designs during rapid, iterative processes, and multitasking in a fast paced environment.
- Have a passion for creating new and creative illustration for Chumbak products.
- Have supernatural knowledge of Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Illustrator & other software needed(Any skills or experience in the fields of product or graphic design is a plus.)